Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster?

Talking Electric Guitar and Bass and Electronic hardware parts, pickups.controllers
devon
Site Admin

Fender Stratocaster or Telecaster?

Post by devon »

Can't decide between a Strat or a Tele? Here is a basic guide between the two.

The Telecaster and the Stratocaster — two instruments that set the standard for electric guitars since their inception in the 1950s.
Both guitars are beloved by casual players and iconic artists alike around the world and have been used to create just about every genre of music imagineable.
For those looking to purchase a first Fender or Squier Tele or Strat, there are a few differences that could help you choose between this iconic pair.
Looking for a beginner guitar? Our interactive gear guide, FindYour.Fender.com, matches you with the perfect model by learning about your sound & style. You’ll be well on your way to finding the right guitar for you.

But first ...
A Brief History Lesson

As the world’s first commercially successful solid-body electric guitar, the Telecaster was groundbreaking when Leo Fender introduced it in 1951.
At the time, rock and roll was still a few years away, and Leo and his staff were building guitars and amplifiers for western swing guitarists looking to get more volume and projection.
"There are very few objects that you can think of that influence an entire movement in music that if they didn’t exist could have — and probably would have — changed the course of musical history. I think the Fender Telecaster is one of those iconic objects." — THE EDGE

Twang-loving country legends like Luther Perkins and Buck Owens helped bring the Telecaster sound to the masses, influencing rock players like Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and George Harrison who would, in turn, change the face of music in the 1960s and beyond.

As for the Stratocaster, Leo was initially looking to refine the classic Tele design, but during the development process, an entirely new model rose from the sawdust. Owing many design elements to the Telecaster, in addition to the Precision Bass that also came out in 1951, the Strat was a step up, boasting three pickups with switching and controls that created greater tonal versatility, a contoured body, and an innovative bridge.

Introduced in 1954, the guitar piqued curiosity when Buddy Holly played one on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1957, but truly gained global acclaim in the hands of 1960s virtuosos like Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, Robin Trower and Eric Clapton.
When I first saw a Stratocaster, I realized it’s a thing of sculpted beauty. It could be something flying through space to me. It’s a utilitarian thing, but it’s beautiful." — MARK KNOPFLER

Amazingly, traditional versions of the Stratocaster and Telecaster have gone largely unchanged for more than 60 years, and their popularity shows no signs of waning.

------ from fender web